Sunday, February 8, 2009

Exactly What is a Diva??!!


According to Merriam-Webster's definition, a diva is "a usually glamorous and successful female performer or personality." The origin of the word comes from an Italian derivation meaning "goddess." So, what does it take to be glamorous, successful, or diva-like?.... Confidence.

I have always been a voloputuous girl and I have always been what people called "cute and pretty". But, at times, I still would feel like I was unworthy of the attention I received from men and women, alike because I was more "amazonian", or, "thicker" than many other females. As I progressed in life and received my degree and landing a very respectable job as a Banker/Loan Officer at a large bank, I began to look around me and saw that what I was being blessed with in my life, was not the norm; it was special. So, therefore, I began to develop confidence that no matter where I was or how much I weighed, I had it going on!

I am happily married to a NCO in the U.S. Army and I have a very cute, and mischevious 2 year old little boy named Caleb. Two years ago I drove a Saturn, today I drive a BMW 745Li. This is not to say that these things in my life are required to be a "Diva", but these are things that I set out to accomplish and put my mind to obtaining. When you have confidence, success follows usually. So it's kind of one of those questions like, does the chicken or the egg come first? Does the diva-mode set in and then we are determined to be successful, or, do we obtain success first and then set into diva-mode?

Another huge tip to being a diva, treat people right. I promise not to make this a religious blog, but, what I have learned in my 26 years on this earth is that no matter what your religion, or what symbol is on the hood of your car, diva or not, treat everyone with kindness and you will receive blessings beyond your wildest imagination.

This is the first post of many on How to be a Diva and I am excited about this journey as I continue to figure myself out. There is more to being a diva than being pretty, or having sex appeal, ladies. It is the sway of your hips, your smile lighting up a room, and your kindness and courtesy extending to those you meet.

Another huge part of my life at this time is http://www.asassyries.com/, this is my company that I developed to offer chic, sassy and totally affordable accessories to all the divas out there! I am planning some collaborations with a very special YouTube makeup guru to offer our audiences a one-stop-shop for tips and advice on beauty, fashion and all things diva! Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Candice,

    Love your blog. I happened upon it when I was looking for the definition of DIVA. Your blog is great and you're a fabulous communicator.

    Be well!
    Victoria
    http://victoriaskincare.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete